Olive & tomato tapenade roast chicken served with wilted basil potato wedges
Roast chicken needn't just be for Sundays with this olive, tomato and leek dish.
Buy recipe ingredients
- Preheat oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. In a food processor,
whiz together the olives, sundried tomato paste, lemon juice and
zest, chilli oil and parsley for the tapenade. Set aside.
- To prepare the chickens, use your fingertips to gently loosen
the skin covering the chicken breasts. Spread the tapenade under
the skins, being careful not to tear them. Set aside while you
prepare the vegetables.
- Gather 3 leek halves together in a bundle and tie tightly with
a piece of butcher's string. Repeat with the remaining leeks and
transfer to a large roasting tin (big enough for two chickens)
along with the halved garlic bulbs and onion wedges.
- Place the chickens on top, and pour over the wine and oil.
Tightly cover the breast of each chicken with a piece of foil and
transfer to the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the potatoes, chopped garlic and oil in a
roasting tin, season well and transfer to the oven for the final 45
- Remove the chicken from the oven and pierce the thickest part
of the thigh with a skewer. If the juices run clear the chicken is
cooked, if they are pink return to the oven for further cooking.
Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Remove the potato wedges from the oven when they are crisp and
golden. Toss with the basil and serve immediately.
Cook's tip: To remove the leg joint, cut
between the body and the drumstick and lever away from the body.
Cut around to remove completely. Finally, cut through the joint
between the leg and thigh.
Buy recipe ingredients
- 1 x 330g jar pitted kalamata olives, drained
- ½ x 190g jar sundried tomato paste
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chilli-infused extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 x 1.5kg SO organic whole chickens
- 350g Sainsbury's SO organic leeks, washed, trimmed & halved lengthways or baby leeks
- 3 garlic bulbs, halved horizontally
- 2 red onions, peeled & cut into wedges
- 250ml white wine
- 800g Sainsbury's SO organic potatoes, washed & cut into wedges
- ½ x 25g pack basil, leaves only
From your store cupboard
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil