Rolled barbecued aubergines
John Whaite's grilled aubergines with mushrooms and a scrumptious pomegranate and balsamic glaze makes a fantastic veggie barbecue dish.
Buy recipe ingredients
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a bowl with half of
the sumac and half of the paprika. Brush each of the aubergine
slices with the spicy olive oil mix. Heat a griddle pan to
medium-high and cook the aubergine slices for 2-3 minutes on each
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan
and cook the spring onions and thyme with the garlic, chilli and
remaining sumac and paprika for 5 minutes. Add the chestnut
mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until all the liquid
from the mushrooms has evaporated. Pour in half of the pomegranate
juice and simmer for 1-2 minutes, then stir in the
- Place the chargrilled aubergine slices on a work surface and
spread each with about 1 tablespoon of the mushroom mixture. Gently
roll them up and secure together with a cocktail stick.
- Pour the sugar, balsamic vinegar and remaining pomegranate
juice into a small saucepan and place over a medium heat. Bring to
the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook, stirring
continuously, for 3-4 minutes, until reduced and sticky.
- In a salad bowl, toss the salad leaves, pomegranate seeds and
fresh coriander together.
- To serve, arrange the aubergine rolls on a plate with the
pomegranate salad on the side and drizzle the balsamic and
pomegranate glaze over.
Cook's tip: We have used a vegetarian
hard cheese in this recipe, however if you are not vegetarian you
could use either parmesan or pecorino as an alternative.
Buy recipe ingredients
- 3 tablespoons olive oil by Sainsbury's
- 1 teaspoon sumac by Sainsbury's
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika by Sainsbury's
- 1 aubergine, washed, top trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 5mm slices
- 1 bunch spring onions by Sainsbury's, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme by Sainsbury's, washed, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ x 250g pack closed cup chestnut mushrooms by Sainsbury's, brushed clean and finely diced
- 120ml pomegranate juice drink by Sainsbury's
- 25g basics hard Italian cheese by Sainsbury's, grated
- 3 tablespoons Fairtrade dark brown soft sugar by Sainsbury's
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar by Sainsbury's
- 120g bag baby leaf bistro salad by Sainsbury's
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- ¼ x 31g pack fresh coriander by Sainsbury's, washed and chopped