- Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold water, bring to the
boil, then simmer for 12-15 minutes until tender. Add in the
asparagus for the last 1½ minutes of the cooking time, then drain
and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, mix together the horseradish, 1 tablespoon of the
white wine vinegar, the crème fraîche, half of the lemon juice and
1 tablespoon cold water. Season with salt and freshly ground black
- To make the salad dressing, mix the remaining white wine
vinegar with the lemon juice, caster sugar, oil and mustard
- Place the potatoes, asparagus, onion, cucumber, radishes,
tomatoes, parsley and watercress in a large salad bowl and toss to
- Pour over the salad dressing and gently combine with all the
vegetables, then top with the flaked mackerel and beetroot. Drizzle
with the horseradish cream and serve immediately.
Save time by making the salad dressing in advance. Keep in an
airtight container for up to a week.
You could use rocket, spinach or any other fine leaf salad
leaves to go in the salad.
You could also use any smoked fish or smoked chicken/duck breast
instead of the mackerel.
Buy recipe ingredients