- Place the chillies, coriander, garlic, brown sugar, the juice
of 2 limes, fish sauce and white pepper into a food processor and
whiz until finely chopped.
- Pour half of the marinade into a large baking dish. Add the
chicken drumsticks and turn to coat well. Cover and chill in the
fridge for a few hours or overnight, if possible.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge to get to room temperature
before cooking. Preheat the oven to 230ºC, fan 210ºC, gas
- Cook the chicken for 30-35 minutes in the oven, or until the
meat comes away from the bone easily. If the skin hasn't browned
while in the oven, place under the grill for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, then turn down to
a simmer and steam the babycorn for 10 minutes, until tender,
adding in the pak choi for the last 5 minutes of cooking
- Serve the chicken drumsticks with the vegetables and the
remaining unused marinade and lime wedges.
This marinade also works well with white fish, beef and
The drumsticks could be cooked on the barbecue or just finished
off on the barbie to give a smoky flavour. Just make sure the
chicken cooks through (until the juices run clear and no pink
remains), and watch it doesn't burn too quickly.
For the best flavour, marinate the chicken for as long as you
can. Overnight will really intensify the flavour.
*Wash your hands after handling raw meat.
Buy recipe ingredients