Toad in the hole
Crispy batter surrounding plump sausages served with lashings of gravy...delicious!
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC, 200ºC fan, gas 7.
To make the batter, whisk 125g flour with the eggs and milk.
- Put 1 tablespoon oil in a roasting tin and
heat in the oven for 1 minute. Add the frozen sausages and brown in
the oven for 20 minutes. Pour over the batter and arrange the
sausages. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the onion gravy, heat the remaining 2
tablespoons of oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and
cook for about 10 minutes, until golden. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour
and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the stock.
Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
Stir in the mustard.
- Boil the carrots for about 8 minutes until almost tender,
adding the peas for the final 2-3 minutes. Serve the toad in the
hole with the peas, carrots and onion gravy.
- 2 free range eggs
- 150ml 1% fat milk
- 8 frozen thick pork sausages
- 1 onion, peeled & chopped
- 200g carrots, peeled & sliced
- 500g basics frozen British garden peas
From your store cupboard
- 125g + 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 300ml vegetable stock (½ x stock cube)
- 1 teaspoon mustard